Getting started with IX
English • Deutsch
The Interconnection software add-on (IX) for AskoziaPBX allows to interconnect up to eight AskoziaPBX phone systems. This includes both the internal connection of devices of different locations, as well as using providers of a PBX at another location. To get started, each PBX requires one valid IX software license. After adding the license for a PBX, the new Interconnection tab appears in the Connectivity menu. After setting up a connection, its name, dial patterns, host, and current connection status are shown here. Furthermore, existing connections can be edited, deactivated or deleted. The following video introduces the IX software add-on for PBX interconnection.
Establishing a connection
In order to establish a connection between two AskoziaPBX phone systems, the following requirements need to be met.
- Direct UDP connection through a specific Port. The standard port is 4569.
- Both bandwidth and jitter (time lag) between both phone systems need to be sufficient. The minimum requirement is a SDSL connection or faster.
Long time lag between two interconnected phone systems may lead to bad call quality, or even disconnection or breakdown.
The connection between both phone systems needs to be protected through a VPN, as communication happens in plain text. Therefore, a connection through port forwarding is not supported.
- Specify a meaningful name to be shown in the interconnection list after configuration has been finished.
- Enter the IP address of the PBX to connect with. If no port is specified, the standard port 4569 is used.
- The Interconnection ID of this PBX needs to be entered in the Interconnection ID of the other PBX field of the PBX to connect with.
- In the Interconnection ID of the other PBX of the current PBX, the Interconnection ID of the PBX to connect with needs to be entered. A parallel configuration of both PBXs is required in order to know their IDs.
- A secure password needs to be specified. This password needs to be identical for both phone systems. A secure password consists letters, digits and special characters, to increase security whereas IAX port is reachable from outside.
- Specify the language for incoming calls. If, for example, an incoming call goes to voicemail, the selected language is used for announcements.
- The outgoing dial patterns specify for which dialed numbers this connection is to be used. Several outgoing patterns can be used in order to realize complex scenarios, for example if the same internal numbers have been assigned on multiple phone systems. It's recommended to specify unique internal numbers, as it reduces the complexity for users. Here are some examples:
- 2XX - All numbers that consist of 3 digits and begin with a '2', are routed through this connection.
- 2|X. - If '2' is dialed as a prefix, calls are routed through the other PBX.
- The following check boxes specify call rights.
- Internal phones: Only internal phones can be called. This suppresses call-through applications.
- Internal numbers: Internal phones can be called, but also call flows, applications and internal conference calls are possible.
- Remote breakout: This allows the other PBX to use providers of the current PBX. This can greatly reduce costs for calls into another country, if the other PBX is located there.
- Block providers: Here, exceptions for Remote Breakout can be specified. The selected providers can not be accessed from the other PBX.
- In Codecs, specific codecs may be selected. Usually, the standard settings are sufficient. If, for example, a higher call quality is required, the G.722 codec could be added. However, this would also lead to a higher load for the phone line. You can learn more about codecs in AskoziaPBX in the Help for Integrators chapter.
- In the Advanced Options, manual dial plans may be added. As an example, this may be possible for using internal company scripts. You can learn more about manual dial plans and attributes in the Help for Integrators chapter. It's recommended to contact Askozia's technical support if these options need to be used.